This photo is a view of the main business district of the Simi Colony looking southwest from Los Angeles Avenue and Fourth street c1908. Mt. McCoy is just visible at the center of the photo over the top of the livery stable. This photo appears on page 70 of “Simi Valley, Journey Through Time” and is by John Sparhawk Appleton, courtesy of Bill Appleton Collection.
Twelve pre-fab ‘kit’ houses were shipped to Simi in 1888 by an investor group in Chicago looking to develop Simi Valley. The group was called “The California Mutual Benefit Colony of Chicago” soon shortened to ‘The Colony.’ This formed the earliest neighborhood in Simi Valley. We’re not sure which Colony House this was, as they all looked the same as first built.