Pat’s Blog #6
Let’s look at the early schools in Simi. Lou Crinklaw Wright wrote this in 1953. Lou was a teacher herself at Santa Susana School.
“The very first school we know of was lessons taught in French in the Simi Adobe for children of Basque sheep herders named Juaregui. The second was taught in Sycamore Canyon [where Brandeis-Bardin Campus of the American Jewish University is now located], when S.M.W. Easley and Napoleon Bonaparte Cornett employed a wandering teacher to instruct their children. Then a granary on the Saviers place [now Erringer Road] was utilized. When the Simi Colonists arrived, one buyer who decided not to come, donated her house to be used as a Methodist Church. It was used for a school until the first real school was built in 1890.”
Pat’s comment: In Santa Susana, school was held in a Southern Pacific Warehouse, until their first school was built south on Tapo Street. Eventually the two separate districts united in order to build a high school, and a modern elementary school. The resulting development of houses and stores was dubbed Community Center. This was in the 1920s.